[AusNOG] Optus Hack

Narelle Clark narellec at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:39:44 AEST 2022

On Wed, 28 Sept 2022 at 12:23, DaZZa <dazzagibbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sept 2022, 10:32 am Andrew Oakeley, <andrew at oakeley.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>> I am sick of my bank and teleco calling me and saying “Before we go any
>> further can you please tell me your date of birth so we can confirm we are
>> talking to the right person”…. Well how about you confirm who you are
>> before I disclose my DOB to someone who has randomly called me.
>>

> Amen to that.
>
> I flat out refuse to give them any information. My standard response is
> "Give me your name, switchboard number and extension and I'll call you
> back".

Err no, you want to call them back on their listed number or the one
provided on your Official Correspondence From Them You Know To Be True. I
doubt there's many on this list prepared to give an unauthenticated caller
PII.

And many a time I've been in a little dance with them which goes: you give
me something to identify you, and then we'll see what we can do next... one
step, two steps...

Narelle

--

Narelle