[AusNOG] Optus Hack

Jeremy Chequer jeremy at resolvergroup.com.au
Wed Sep 28 12:19:26 AEST 2022

Hi James

I think it is one of those things where a clarification may be needed. I know internally, we keep it for long enough to validate your ID via DVS and then just keep the result and check ID not the details. But, we also don't do anything more than month to month or where we are providing credit services so I have no reason to know the requirements beyond that or keep the data beyond that. We may not be fully complying with our requirements by doing so though but I feel it is enough to meet them (and is something I will definitely be raising with our lawyers given all the current discussions).

My personal opinion is that with services like DVS there shouldn't be a reason to keep the details beyond the verification, but again i don't know the law well enough to know if it is required in some cases, especially around credit services.

This is one of those areas where I feel that a major change is needed and a new method resulting in less data being held needs to be found, not just for our industry but across all industries. Services like DVS could help with this. However, I also think it is something that will require a lot of industry cooperation and where clarification on requirements would be helpful, instead of needing to check multiple different pieces of legislation to see what applies specifically to you. Ultimately, IMO the less data we are all holding the better as it makes it less worthwhile to try and obtain it.

- Jeremy