[AusNOG] Optus Hack

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:45:13 AEST 2022

It's within the industry's living memory that Australia's biggest telco
used to publish a physical book with everyone's personal information in it.

Most of our telco privacy legislation evolved from how things got in this
book, which was an "open by default" model.

The very first Optus retail customers were those who dialled an override
code on a Telstra phone line for cheaper STD rates. Telstra then provided
personal details for billing, even though no-one had an existing
relationship with Optus..

John