[AusNOG] Optus Hack

Jorji Costava ausnog at arstotzka.su
Tue Sep 27 22:44:13 AEST 2022

Hi Giles,

Don't even need to ask yourself "what if" as it already happened back in
the early days. Though the issue was XSS and so nowhere near as serious
as Optus' screw up but still inexcusable in this or the previous decade.
When the person who found this attempted to responsibly disclose it to
the government, he hit a giant brick wall.

Here's the blog article
https://nikcub.me/posts/multiple-vulnerabilities-in-mygov-australian-government
and subsequent press coverage
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/revealed-serious-flaws-in-mygov-site-exposed-millions-of-australians-private-information-20140514-zrczw.html

The sad part is that as poorly as Optus has handled user info, I've seen
worse and frankly I'm amazed that one company I had the displeasure of
working with a number of years ago hasn't suffered something similar.
They kept even more PII than Optus (if you can believe that!) and did an
appalling job of securing it for the 100s of thousands of unfortunate
souls in their DB.

I don't know what the answer is though. If you want to see a mature
digital ID system, look at Sweden where they have something called
"BankID" which is a similar concept except administered by the banks and
only available to residents with a personnummer (similar to a tax file
number). It's a system that is great for those who are born into it or
have gained access via long term residency, but if you're on the
outside, it makes everything extremely cumbersome as basically every
company asks for it.