[AusNOG] Optus hack - another angle

Michael Hockey mqh at miju.com.au
Tue Sep 27 19:39:24 AEST 2022

I received one of those emails from Optus today. But I did phone  Optus
as I had a curious incident related
to a third party entity that links via Optus. The Optus help line was
not helpful, the hold music was very loud and
the queue wait kept getting longer.

I asked them what steps they took to notify other institutions <before>
they went public.

It is obvious that Optus had to have a plan in place -
eg steps to do if <this particular thing> happened (insert whatever you
want here - fire, network down, etc)
and going public is not step 1.

So does anyone have any information as to what the Optus data breach
plan was likely to be. ?

Michael Hockey
CISM (Ret),CISA (Ret),MACS,BA,BSc                         PO Box 176, Corinda Q 4075, Australia
Phone: +61 0409 835 041
Email: michael.hockey @miju.com.au