[AusNOG] G.Fast and NBN VDSL coexistence

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:32:20 AEDT 2022

I think it will be fine.

In the scenario where a building has 3 xDSL providers I think they will be
more worried about being commercially viable than what happens in the
matrix maths of an underlying layer 1 protocol.

If there's enough user density in a modern apartment building to cause
crosstalk that can overwhelm cat5e cabling, then the residents already have
a bigger problem with WiFi interference which will be blamed for any packet
loss.

Vectoring competing for the same DMT bins will manifest itself as line
errors, which most consumer devices don't even measure. The DSLAM profile
will almost certainly have forward error correction turned on which will
smooth out crosstalk bumps and TCP will correct the rest. The entire
building's speeds will slow a few mbps, but ISP tech support will have a
script saying that this is normal for a service with "up to" 300mbps so
they won't send out a tech to investigate unless it's under 12mbps.

The G.Fast users with vectoring competition will still get a more
consistent high speed service than the apartments who chose a fixed 5G
broadband product.

At the end of the day, G.fast will open up an additional 65Mhz of
point-to-point spectrum, which has to be a net positive.

John