[AusNOG] Enterprise Network QoS Traffic Profiling Tools

John Mann john at mannfamily.org
Tue May 3 21:05:30 AEST 2022

Roman,

Several years ago, at Monash University, I used open source software
   cisco netflow -> nfdump -> NfSen
to analyse network traffic.
This collects and analyses flows, not the raw packets.
NfSen has a graphic dashboard that can collect/show/drill-down stats that
you have pre-defined.
The 'nfdump' CLI can be used for ad-hoc (text output) analysis, or cron'd
for daily summary reports.

Capturing packets from a 10G fibre network backbone to spinning hard drives
wasn't easy. Try
   cisco filter -> RSPAN -> network -> GRE software endpoint -> tcpdump -w
Much easier, but $$$, to use passive fibre taps, packet broker hardware etc.

     John