[AusNOG] Phishing attempt using an Australian bank account

Guy Ellis guy at traverse.com.au
Tue Dec 20 11:15:12 AEDT 2022

IMHO Move very quickly and start with your Client's bank not the
destination.

There are many Australian BSB numbers owned by used by Clearing Houses
such as Cuscal (NSW) that effectively work as a front for International
Scammers.
Funds hitting these accounts are forwarded almost immediately to the
scammers and not recoverable.

Cuscal have a range of BSBs from 802-xxx to 809-xxx.

I'm sure Cuscal is not the only one doing this.

Regards,

  - Guy

On 20/12/2022 10:59 am, Giles Pollock wrote:
> First port of call would probably be the bank in question... Look up
> the BSB using something like https://bsb.auspaynet.com.au/ then either
> call that specific branch or the fraud prevention team at that
> specific bank. They should be able to take it from there...
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 9:29 AM Graham Maltby <graham at maltby.id.au> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I have a client who is the victim/target of a phishing attempt -
>     simple social engineering with a request to update banking details
>     and pay outstanding invoices. The provided details are for an
>     Australian Bank (BSB and account number).
>
>     Who is the correct authority to direct this to?
>     Do banks generally respond to this sort of thing where (they are
>     not implicated nor do I have any authority over the target account)?
>
>     I have already reported it to the registrar that registered the
>     bogus domain.
>
>     Any other advice?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Graham