[AusNOG] AUSNOG Mailing List Dissapointment

Daniel A da2355281 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:44:52 AEDT 2022

Time to vent.... -

I've been on the mailing list for years. Read thousands of emails, replied
to less than a handful, never started a new thread. I go to the events.
It's a great community. But this list is getting on my nerves and I want to
vent.

This mailing list is meant to be for people who run networks or manage
networks to talk to other people who run or manage networks. Its meant for
discussion about topics relevant to what we do technically and
professionally as network operators. Its meant to provide a forum to
discuss a complex technical issue and coordinate cooperation between
parties. Its meant for introducing an idea that others might not have
thought about.

Over the years I've seen many interesting and useful discussions around BGP
leaks, CloudFlare taking down the internet, AAPT/TPG Radius issues causing
widespread problems, and those occasional Facebook/Google problems
which remind us that we all have problems from time to time. I've seen
genuine discussion resulting in problems being solved between network
operators and people being able to contact those in the know who can help.
There have also been some genuinely interesting posts about things we as an
industry should learn about, haven't considered before, and so much more.
Amazing. This is what we need to do for each other as a community of like
minded people in the industry.

However, there is a lot of junk.

I don't come here for -

- Questions about Microsoft 365. This is an MSP problem. Speak to your
service provider, your licensing partner, or log a support ticket with
Microsoft.
- Anything, whatsoever, coming from someone who doesnt run a network. Being
a small web hosting provider with a couple of servers in a rack at GSU and
some borrowed IP space doesn't count. Essentially, if you don't own an AS
and IP space, you're an end user, not a network operator. Watch, read,
learn... but your queries/concerns/problems are between you and your
provider.
- Job advertisements. Seek.com.au is where you should post your ads. It's
also where you should look for a job (or LinkedIn).
- Bitching about other people's businesses. Don't like them, take it up
with them, or better yet focus on your own.

As I said, this mailing list is meant to be about network operators,
talking to other network operators, about technical issues and interesting
tech relevant to what we do. It's not a job forum. Its not  place for
non-network operators to look for support, its not for bitching, its not
for indepth debate about sexual harrasment law.

Tech talk for techs in the business of operating networks. That's what this
is.

For the quiet list members, like myself, can we not just stay on topic?