[AusNOG] Microsoft missing RDNS

Mike Manning mike at matilda.net.au
Fri Jun 11 09:17:32 EST 2021

Hi all,

Anyone else here experiencing missing RDNS for a swath of IP's from Microsoft on a few different subnets? I've opened a ticket with Microsoft netops for it and I've done an rDNS bypass on our local antispam filter however we're now seeing o365 clients with the same issue when trying to receive emails from anyone with an @outlook.com or @msn.com email address.. where do you draw the line in adding bypass after bypass?

host 40.92.63.85
Host 85.63.92.40.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

host 40.92.62.31
Host 31.62.92.40.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Mike Manning
Network Engineer

Matilda Internet

*Telephone +61 7 4953 0711
*Fax +61 7 4849 5000
29 Gregory Street, Mackay, QLD 4740, Australia
* Email mike at matilda.net.au
<mailto:mike at matilda.net.au>Website www.matilda.net.au
<http://www.matilda.net.au/>

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing copying or use of the contents contained in this e-mail and any file attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the sender by telephone or by reply email to the sender.  You must destroy the original transmission and its contents.  It is recommended that you virus test the information and any attachments.  Matilda Internet does not accept liability for any loss or damage howsoever occurred as a result of this email transmission or any attachments to it.