[AusNOG] Telstra deal with Google

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Sat Jan 30 04:15:31 EST 2021

Well I certainly wouldn't have 7 of them around my house if I had to buy
them with advertising like that.......

Mind you I didn't buy mine to begin with. :P

The whole "listening all the time" bit isn't really all that accurate
since it's just got a small looping buffer of audio to catch the wake word.
All of that is done entirely on device and that's trivial to verify by
watching network traffic.
And they've been adding additional controls for sensitivity and managing
the recordings which is nice.
There's always the mic off switch if you get really paranoid.

On 29/1/21 11:23 pm, Kai wrote:
> Google Nest and similar products, promoted as personal and home
> assistant devices.
>
> I wonder how many people would buy them if they're promoted for what
> they do - personal privacy invasion and active surveillance, listening
> to and probably recording all conversations, learning the patterns
> when you leave/return home, how many people (voices) are in your
> house, what music you like, what time you use your air con...
>
> "but it only works when I say 'hey, google' ", and how do you think it
> knows when you say "hey, google"? only one way - listen to everything.
>
> On 29/1/21 2:52 pm, Chad Kelly wrote:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> This is probably slightly OT but not totally.
>>
>> Does the Telstra deal for being able to make calls through the Google
>> Nest Audio speakers extend to the Telstra Wholesale network, or is it
>> for retail customers only?
>>
>> Not too worried as I can just use the hardware Mike off button on the
>> back of the device for when I need to use the phone to make calls,
>> but its not a bad feature being able to make calls directly from the
>> speaker itself.
>>
>> Regards Chad.
>>
>> Chad Kelly
>>
>> Manager
>>
>> CPK Web Services
>>
>> Phone 03 52730246
>>
>> Web https://www.cpkws.com.au

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Email 	nick at agentpoint.com <mailto:nick at agentpoint.com>
Phone 	02 8039 6820 <tel:0280396820>
Website 	www.agentpoint.com.au <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>

Agentpoint <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>
Netpoint <https://netpoint.group/>

67 Renwick St, Redfern NSW 2009 	Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/agentpoint/> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/agentpoint> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/Agentpoint/> Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/agentpoint-pty-ltd>