[AusNOG] Lightning and FTTC - is it really this bad?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Jan 21 10:11:04 EST 2021

Yeah it really didn’t make sense to me. How is a product which only has a
TINY bit of copper compared to FTTN and indeed the older POTS network, SO
much more susceptible to lightning strikes?  I mean, it’s Fibre to the pit,
and then one breakout box is running four(?) homes, with maybe 100-150m
total of copper between all four homes’ runs?  Unless lightning is hitting
one of those houses, or the people in those houses are stupid enough to NOT
be running surge protection on their gear (seriously, wtf? Are there really
people without surge protection these days? It’s been around for 30 years,
and is on almost every power board Bunnings sell..), I don’t see how
lightning can be an issue??

Something doesn’t make sense here..

—DG

Damien Gardner Jnr