[AusNOG] "Telstra" scammers

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Feb 18 20:50:04 EST 2021

Hi

Slightly off topic, but when I have time to waste, I love getting those
“your computer has a virus” calls. I make them wait as I “boot it up”,
suggesting it’s a bit old and slow, say I’m switching on the modem, and
then eventually let them know I’m ready. Let them start trying to instruct
me, before I eventually tell them I have an Amiga. They generally
immediately hang up, but at least I’ve wasted their time. Of course, I’ve
not done anything during that time except for lead them on.

On a more practical note, I find that if you answer with anything but a
standard greeting (I just immediately say my name when I answer), the
autodialler doesn’t tend to transfer it to a “consultant”.

Jamie

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 5:16 pm, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> I’m sure all DOCSIS and DSL modems are potentially capable of being
> infected as they are all managed.
>
> > On 18 Feb 2021, at 15:50, Guy Ellis <guy at traverse.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder what sort of a Virus a real modem can catch - I guess that
> would be FSK?
> >
> > On 18/02/2021 3:34 pm, Kai wrote:
> >> Just had a scam call from a female operator, called from "0432 594 523"
> (probably a spoofed number), says her name is Selina from Telstra, that my
> modem has a virus. She gave her Telstra staff ID as C0527 (that's not a
> real Telstra staff ID, it starts with a 0 and it's too short) and hung up
> when I asked what her Team Leader or Manager's name and staff ID is.
> >>
> >> So the "Telstra scammers" are still out there, trying to scam people.
> >> Parasites.
> >>
> >> Sent from my smartphone.

> > --
> > Guy Ellis
> > Mobile +61 419 398 234
> > AU 03 9489 6678
> > NZ 09 884 9756
> >
> > www.traverse.com.au

> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org

Jamie Lovick <-> IT Consultant <-> AU <-> +61-4-1479-1681
                                -> US <-> +1-8018-4-52643 (JAMIE)
                                -> FR <-> +33-9-7073-0340
Doof.org                        -> Em <-> jalovick at doof.org