[AusNOG] Leaky Feeder & UTP

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:26:30 EST 2020

Hi Mal,

I experience running wireless equipment at high power radio sites. UTP is a
poor idea at any distance but if you have to, bring some ferrite chokes
along. Be prepared to turn auto-negotiation off, and maybe settle for 100
Mbps full-duplex link speeds.

I installed some equipment in December 2019 in a VHF/UHF rack & used a
metallic armoured CAT6A patch lead. Found its Ethernet performance to be
outstanding. Fast auto-negotiate, no errors, etc.. Cable I used was
https://www.gowifi.co.nz/patchleadsa/apl-ftp6a-0.5.html I'm not sure who
the manufacturer is but it's a really nice product.

It's my preference to use pre-manufactured cables as it can be tough to get
everything perfect when you're crimping your own shielded cables.

-JB