[AusNOG] the state of bufferbloat awareness and remediation in australia?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Jan 26 12:57:13 EST 2020

Had started replying the other day, but seems I forgot to hit send, so i’ll
reply tothis one instead :)

We see them as PPPOE headers, on our AAPT wholesale services with NBN and
AAPT direct DSL services - but not on Telstra services.   It’s very handy,
as AAPT at least rate limit how often you can do a line state diagnosis to
pull sync rates from NBNco (it’s about six or seven per 30 mins maximum),
so if you have a tech at the customer’s premises messing with cabling,
being able to see sync rates on every reconnection saves a lot of hair
pulling once you hit the rate limit for LSD’s.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 12:52 pm, Ryan Mounce <ryan at mounce.com.au> wrote:

> NBN Co do inject options into DHCP and PPPoE requests with the down/up
> sync rate for their wholesale xDSL services so that ISPs (RSPs in NBN
> lingo) can shape individual services correctly. I have no sense how widely
> ISPs are actually taking advantage of this.
>
> -Ryan
>
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 11:24, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all. I'm here at linux.conf.au having just given a talk about how
>> tcp works in the bufferbloated age[1].
>>
>> On my way here I stopped in for a few days with geoff huston and
>> george michaelson who filled my ears with the chaos of the NBN rollout
>> and other issues in the australian network infrastructure... and gave
>> me a shot at some data they had on bloat, and ecn usage in the wild
>> which I hope to write up over the next month or so.
>>
>> I was wondering about a few things:
>>
>> How y'all doing on eliminating bufferbloat from your networks? Using
>> things like fq_codel, sch_fq + bbr, etc?
>>
>> Do you have any awareness from your regulatorium?
>>
>> I see, from sites like whirlpool, that some consumer hardware here,
>> like the fritzbox, have fq_codel now, but it's not clear if ISPs are
>> actively configuring it (or what we call "sqm") yet. (theres a PPPoe
>> message now in use in parts of germany for up/down and frame rate
>> seeing increasing deployment).
>>
>> Lastly:
>>
>> Anyone need a wayward network researcher/theorist for a few weeks or
>> months to help address their bufferbloat issues in their stacks and
>> hw? - maybe not this trip but on some other occasion?
>> (I rather like hanging in australia)
>>
>> [1] blatant plug  http://youtu.be/ZeCIbCzGY6k
>>
>> --
>> Make Music, Not War