[AusNOG] Microsoft Office365 CDN at Vocus appears to be corrupted

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Wed Feb 26 15:47:23 EST 2020

Hi all,

My apologies that this isn't strictly networking related, but I'm hoping someone at Microsoft or Vocus can assist with an issue we're seeing.

We've had some issues the past few days with users unable to download Office365 successfully. It downloads about 300Mbps then dies with a useful error message along the lines of "you don't have Internet access or your disk is full". Using an alternative upstream Internet connection works with no issue. Further investigation shows that we're hitting a CDN of some kind at Vocus within the subnet 139.218.20.0/23, but when using an alternative connection it hits a non-Vocus subnet. The specific servers I've seen our networks access include:
139.218.20.32
139.218.20.187
139.218.20.194

The logfile for the installer returns this:
Failed on hashcheck of http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/7ffbc6bf-bc32-4f92-8982-f9dd17fd3114/Office/Data/16.0.11929.20606/stream.x64.en-us.dat

Based on this, I suspect that the Vocus server acting as a CDN for Microsoft Office365 has a corrupted or out of date file.

Unfortunately I can't see any way to point our networks to use an alternative CDN, and blocking the destination IPs causes the installer to fail immediately instead of after downloading a portion of the files.

If anyone has a way to escalate this to either Microsoft or Vocus, please let me know.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker | Senior Network Engineer | TasmaNet
40-50 Innovation Drive, Dowsing Point, Tas 7010, Australia
P: 1300 792 711
philip.loenneker at tasmanet.com.au<mailto:philip.loenneker at tasmanet.com.au>
www.tasmanet.com.au<http://www.tasmanet.com.au/>