[AusNOG] Telstra Wi-Fi calling on our network.

mike at ozonline.com.au mike at ozonline.com.au
Sat Oct 12 14:20:10 EST 2019

Quoting Nathan Brookfield <Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au>:

> The fact you’d even ask how to block it shocks me, the entire point
> o; WiFi calling is to provide a better service to end users in poor
> cocerahe area’s

The point I was raising was is this the entire point?

> whether that’s via RF or cable, yes it shifts load off a radio
> transmitter or microwave backhaul to IP over multiple networks but
> it’s still using Infrastructure on Telstra’s network so if anything
> It’s transferring costs for them from one place to another.

And supplementing their mobile network with their competitors network,
so no, not simply transfer of costs from point to point.

As a thought experiment, at its most extreme, if 100% of calls could
be serviced by Wifi calling, you could be a mobile operator without
your own
cell network. Now I'm not actually seriously suggesting this as a
possibility but to highlight the cost advantages both cap ex and op ex
of
off loading volume on to your competitor's networks.

> When I walk into Equinix for example
> and join the WiFi and I can make and receive calls while working in
> a low coverage area, I praise Telstra!

That Telstra has their own network, I wouldn't be denying service, and
in this instance I might be impeding their attempt to shift
network costs onto their customers.

> When I walk into Equinix for example and join the WiFi and  I can
> make and receive calls while working in a low coverage area, I
> praise Telstra!

As a I say, it appears that Wifi calling may be preferred even when
decent signal is available.

> There are people here who know much better than I do but I doubt
> CDN’s are paying Australian Telco’s to be inside the network in 2019
>  unless it’s under a legacy agreement, it’s likely the other way
> around or a mutual agreement, carriers want the best access to
> content without having to transit it so I’m going to say, you’re
> just plain wrong on all fronts here.

As recently as Aug 2016, Cloud Flare reported their cost to deliver
content into
Telstra was 20 times that of Europe. Even though they represented
5% of Cloud Flare's traffic they represented 50% of their bandwidth costs.

Cloud Flare also reported that if their existing Aust delivery costs
were regarded as 85 units,
if they removed Telstra from the calculation it fell to 17 because
they peered with everyone else.
Meaning Telstra did not then peer with CDNs.

Given Telstra's market share hasn't changed much since then, they
retain the whip hand so I doubt their
business model has changed.

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/605402/cloudflare-bandwidth-cost-claims-overstated-telstra-says/

Kind regards