[AusNOG] Software Defined Routers

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 12:56:02 EST 2019

Overall, the article being discussed only does very precursory testing.
In my recent adventures of deploying OSS routing for mission critical services, there has to be a mix of raw performance, stability and performance with varied feature-sets (NAT, QoS, Load-Balancing etc). The article above looks at mainly basic routing and throughout. Put a few thousand hosts behind it, 100s of NAT and QoS rules later and the numbers would be more useful.

With my nonexistent free time I’d love to put more real world traffic patterns (using the likes of Ostinato/Cisco TRex) through the current leaders with equivalent, complex feature-sets for better comparisons on both virtualised and baremetal hardware (standard x86 and/or purpose built x86 like the Lannertech boxes).

- Tim