[AusNOG] NBN POI contact

Joshua Cameron JoshuaC at ace.com.au
Tue Mar 12 09:21:57 EST 2019

Thanks for all the help yesterday guys.

In case there was any confusion, we were only looking to get into the 1 local POI as >90% of our customers are local.
We were looking into optimising NBN costs by cutting out the middle man.

Kind people got in contact with me and provided me the pricing sheets for NBN so we were able to run the numbers. Although we were able to make getting in the NBN POI much more profitable than our current situation, it worked out similar to migrating to Vocus Layer 3 which has more “hands-off” benefits than self-managing a NBN POI Layer2. We can debate all we’d like about the benefits of NBN POI Layer2 over Vocus Layer3 (TR-069, TC-1 QoS, NBN B2B portal, etc.) but it comes down to with the low margins in NBN we are really only looking to it as a value added service for other services like managed services/hosted PBXs. Hence, the cost optimisation/hands off preference.

As stated by others, I also don’t think it’s worth physically building to 121 POIs without a large investment and a “build and they will come” business strategy, coupled with large amounts of marketing to reach a profitable scale.
However, NBN’s NNI/V-NNI<https://www.nbnco.com.au/sell-nbn-services/products-services-pricing/nni-link> seems interesting, but I’d need to read into it more. This is NBN’s solution for not requiring small ISPs to have to build out to all POIs, rather just having a virtual presence in them.

Thanks again to everyone who reached out to help us run some numbers yesterday.

Back to lurking for me.

Cheers,

Joshua Cameron
Software Developer/Systems Administrator
Office:  02 4861 8888
Direct:   02 4861 8803