[AusNOG] "However, for the best possible experience, we recommend enabling IPv6 on your network."

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:28:54 EST 2019

On Sun., 24 Feb. 2019, 13:35 Robert Hudson, <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb. 2019, 11:03 am Mark Smith, <markzzzsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So an ISP supplied a router that only had IPv6 enabled? I doubt that
>> has ever happened, but if it has, switching on IPv4 on the router
>> isn't going to do anything because an "IPv6 only" ISP isn't going to
>> provide IPv4 on the WAN side either.
>>

> There is at least one IPv6 only ISP in the USA I believe.

So they don't provide any way of accessing the IPv4 Internet at all to
their customers?

I rejigged my network a while ago so that I have an IPv6 only CPE and an
IPv4 only CPE.

Experimenting by switching off the IPv4 CPE, in some regards it's
surprising what does work over pure IPv6, but on the other hand it is very
limited, and not an experience you'd want to provide to a typical Internet
end user.

For example, on a PC with Fedora 29 and Chrome, I could access all of
Google's services without any apparent issues.

Rebooting Chromecasts caused them to announce their IPv6 addresses via
multicast DNS rather than their IPv4 addresses (they don't advertise IPv6
if IPv4 is available). However the YouTube app on my Android 9 phone
refused to let me login to the YouTube website, so I couldn't play any
videos to them. (I have Youtube Premium, I didn't go as far as trying to
work out how access it without logging in at all on my phone.)

Netflix worked fine from my phone to those Chromecasts.

If I recall correctly, LinkedIn and Facebook also were fine.

The Age worked, however adverts didn't show up. I expect the content showed
up because it is on Akamai CDN nodes and they talk IPv6.

It was a bit of muck around to see what it was like, I didn't go and reboot
and test everything that could talk IPv6. (I don't think I tested my
Chromebook for example.)

If course other content was entirely unreachable because it was IPv4 only
e.g. from memory Whirlpool.

So I'm sceptical that any ISP would provide a pure IPv6 only, no IPv4 at
all service to somebody who'd likely be playing a game written by Ubisoft.

Regards,
Mark.