[AusNOG] Small box for wanem

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Tue Feb 5 14:45:32 EST 2019

Hi folks,

I need to build up a simple, small wanem/iperf box for a few projects
coming up. Initial thought was to go with a pi 3B+ and USB3 1000BaseT
adaptors, but the throughput looks to be limited to approx 300Mbit[1].
Thinking about a NUC with four USB3.1 Gen 2 1000BaseT adaptors (run
two separate emulation 'sessions' at once). Anybody got any other
suggestions/products that have worked well? Doesn't need to be super
hardcore, it'll definitely be FOSS based.

While I'm on the topic, is wanem still the best choice for
throughput/latency/jitter/loss/etc simulation?

Rgds,

- I.

[1]: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking