[AusNOG] Fwd: CPU power of older Cisco routers

Ben Hohnke settra+ausnog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:56:16 EST 2019

Both are CPU routers, so throughput really depends on what services you're
running.
This is a reference I used to use for a guidline of the older cisco routers:
https://community.cisco.com/kxiwq67737/attachments/kxiwq67737/5991-discussions-wan-routing-switching/300602/1/Cisco_Router_Performance.pdf

The 7301 will route ~ 500 Mbit of traffic - maybe closer to 600 if you want
to run it hot. Though it really depends on packet size, as that has more
bearing on how much it can actually route

I haven't used the 3945E before, but the datasheet here states it'll do
around 350 with WAN services enabled:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78_553924.html

This PDF gives an overview of the max throughput of the 3945E - I assume
this is best case, with everything possible disabled:
https://community.cisco.com/legacyfs/online/legacy/2/7/8/139872-white_paper_c11_595485.pdf

I doubt you'd see close to 8.6Gbit (or 4.3 full duplex) in the real world,
however.