[AusNOG] Telstra Business - known issues??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sat Apr 27 09:32:23 EST 2019

Sorry for the noise on a saturday - I'm attempting to help a friend sort
out a problem. He's overseas and only has sporadic comms.

Tuesday morning (Apr 23) his office stopped receiving email.
They have a telstra nbn broadband service, and telstra provided modem.
They run a small unix box with postfix for their mail.
For years, this has worked fine. Modem forwards port 25 to internal mail
server.

While we have a very temporary work-around in place, he's trying to get
the problem fixed. Attempting to connect to the external IP results in
nothing - not even a SYN packet - arriving at the mail server, yet mail
goes out fine.

I've checked the IP address, and there hasn't been any change there, it's
still their correct (static) IP.

I've changed the internal address the port forwards to, and still no
evidence of any incoming traffic. I've tried other ports, including high
numbered (non-priviliged) ports, same thing.

It appears that either the modem has stopped forwarding anything from the
outside, OR telstra are not permitting any incoming connections.

It's not my service, I don't have the details (or authority) to talk to
tesltra on his behalf, and his time difference and minimal connectivity
make it difficult for him to either.

My question is: is anyone aware of any current outages with telstra that
might cause this, or any "changes in policy" that we might be unaware of
where they've said (for example) "unless you pay the incoming service
feature tax, we're blocking all incoming packets"??

Thanks in advance,
RossW