[AusNOG] Netflow, probes and data retention compliance

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Tue Sep 25 14:12:10 EST 2018

Hi Narelle,

>From memory, when our data retention compliance documentation was accepted by CAG they included a statement discouraging sharing of the content of the policy with people outside of our organisation and CAG, stating that sharing details could invalidate their acceptance. This may have more than a little to do with the lack of responses you have received.

That said, the ability to achieve what organisations commit to in their data retention agreement often relies on support in the equipment used, and capturing flows appears to be the most widely supported method of capturing that information. Some devices may handle alternate (perhaps better) methods, but if you run a multi-vendor environment, I think most people would choose a method common across all devices rather than having to deal with multiple systems or exceptions.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker | Network Engineer | TasmaNet
40-50 Innovation Drive, Dowsing Point, Tas 7010, Australia
P: 1300 792 711
philip.loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
www.tasmanet.com.au