[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:45:38 EST 2018

"Sure they will be able to enforce it against others, but their whole
argument for these laws is to go after those actors when it is manifestly
ineffective for that."

Yes, and no. There's actors, and then there's their actions. There's 2
different sorts of traffic on the internet that law enforcement & security
services want to go after - broadcast (eg: social media), and point to
point. When it comes to identifying users of social media using it for
illegal ends, this is something that should have been done ages ago, should
have been a priority before Data Retention. When it comes to isolating
actors with a serious agenda to use end to end to encryption for nefarious
means, I figure most everybody realises this is like looking for a needle
in a haystack.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins