[AusNOG] Sexual harassment in our industry.

Karen Hargreave karen at iamunique.net.au
Wed Oct 3 13:57:37 EST 2018

So, someone made reference to the lack of females on the board...

Can we take a moment and have a look at something? Apart from myself (who identifies as 'one of the guys' most of the time) how many female members are there? If you were to consider the topic being discussed, I would have thought that passionate females on this list would probably want to speak up. It is obviously clear that there are some very supportive males out there which is awesome to see. So what is the ratio of males to females in this situation?

I remember a teacher one saying to my class, the worst thing you can be in Australia if you are looking for work is a white Australian male because you have the quota numbers stacked against you. I too am a believer that what we get should be based on merit and not on some quota system. Yes, maybe look at the percentages, if the industry is heavily biased one way over another, then maybe think about ways to market to appeal to other groups, but keep it merit based. Anything else cheapens the achievements of everyone else concerned.

Sent from my iPad