[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:42:30 EST 2018

Let's not forget that without the State there could be no internet. So
there needs to be an accomodation between the rights of the individual and
the rights of the State. Part of the terms are dictated by political
reality, but there are also moral questions as to the right of the State to
interfere with individual liberty. In some ways, as I've said before, this
isn't ontologically new territory, but goes back to Rousseau's notion of
the social contract, that the individual surrenders the absolute liberty
of  anarchy, for the security benefits conferred by the state under the
rule of law.

I'm less concerned that the State may ask a judge for a computer warrant,
than I am the Attorney General issuing TCNs to access carrier metadata
datastreams and using that for mass surveillance, or law enforcement then
forcing patches on service providers for my phone/television to enable the
mike and camera's for surveillance because I've triggered some kind of
Minority Report scenario, because, you know, they're doing their job and in
the AG's opinion it's reasonable.

In the case of the computer warrant, Law Enforcement have to allege a
specific breach of the criminal code, and establish evidentiary grounds
this crime is being committed to a judge's satisfaction. Much in the
Assistance and Access Bill leaves Law Enforcement as the decision makers as
to what and how is to be investigated. It is actually possible to
simultaneously want to see the rule of law be enforced, but without
establishing the machinery of a police state.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins