[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 21 19:13:53 EST 2018

On 21/11/2018 6:33 PM, Robert Hudson wrote:
> I sent an email to my local (LNP) MP, who forwarded it to Dutton, who sent a letter
> back on lovely heavy paper stock.
>
> Dutton of course completely missed the point, not least of all because he wants to
> miss the point as it is inconvenient for his agenda).

Its a reasonable start, and good on you for writing the letter - Dutton of course will
feel that you are completely missing the point, because you're both arguing different
points.

The important thing is that, if this thing is pushed back into Parliament, its the
lower house MPs and Upper House Senators that will be voting on this, and probably
voting along party lines. Neither you, now I, or anybody else on this list gets to
participate in that vote.

Minister Dutton is unlikely to change his mind, no matter how many people write to him
- in his mind he's doing this to protect the people, and anyone thinking thats a poor
idea must be against protecting the people. Also, now its a matter of pride and
personal embarrassment if he was to back down now - so that is unlikely to happen,
even if you manage to shake his private conviction that its all for the greater good.

To influence that vote, letters and briefings to other MPs and senators on all sides,
to work to influence each major Party (and the independents) view of the Bill is more
likely to have an effect on the voting numbers.

And FWIW, I've found arguments that lean towards demonstrating the measures are
impractical, infeasible, risky, or likely to cause embarassment tend to be more
powerful than arguments leaning on philosophy - arguments like "you shouldn't even be
wanting to do this because we're a liberal democracy" aren't likely to wash as much as
'if thats what you're trying to achieve, doing like that won't work or is very risky
because...'

Paul.