[AusNOG] AusNOG is a network operations mailing list

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Fri Mar 23 08:38:37 EST 2018

Morning all,

Over the last few months we have seen a gradual increase in postings that are not related to network operations.  Topics like end-user questions about their NBN installations, managed IT providers looking for help with a client’s bounced emails, ISP customers looking for an informal support channel, people chasing outage details for their office broadband connection.  While the collected participants of this list may certainly be able to help with those things that is not the purpose of this list.

The increase in non-operational content is causing some of our target audience, Australia's service provider engineers, to unsubscribe and that’s a problem for us.  There are other end-user focused mailing lists and forums available to discuss end-user matters.  The content on this list should relate to operating a network, not using one.

Before you post, please ask yourself whether your email is appropriate for this list.  Are you an “internet infrastructure related service provider”?  Do you run a service provider network, or a data centre, or a hosting platform, or a VoIP service?  If it’s a client network issue, does it relate to an entity that connects through your network to other services such as the Internet?  If it’s related to email do you operate the mail servers that are used by your clients?  If it’s a last-mile service outage does it relate to tails that you buy wholesale?  If you can’t say yes to the questions above, then Whirlpool or other such end-user forums would be more appropriate.

The Charter of the mailing list is available from our web site at

http://www.ausnog.net/mailing_list/charter

The introductory section is reproduced below.  We encourage everyone one to gain value from this mailing list by using it for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks

David, on behalf of the AusNOG Board
…

The AusNOG mailing list has been established to provide a forum for
the exchange of technical information, the discussion of specific
implementation issues that require cooperation among internet
infrastructure related service providers (eg ISP/ASP/DC etc), the
discussion of technically focused operational issues, and the discussion
of technical issues relating to provision of internet services and the
various infrastructure related services in the telecommunications
industry.

This is NOT a forum for journalists to pick up leads, sales people to
sell things, end-users to pester their ISP, or bush lawyers to posit
their beliefs. Such behaviour will not be tolerated (see "Moderation"
below).