[AusNOG] NBN build issues

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Tue Mar 20 20:06:16 EST 2018

This is out of left field, but more a heads up on quality issues with the
NBN.

Speaking with a major "work safety² equipment supplier they were telling
me about the NBN being told to employe unskilled workers (long term
unemployed, ex prisoners, disadvantaged) to roll out the NBN. And the
total screw up in helping these people actually work, ie 60 new people
being asked to roll up for work X day, but being given no start time, just
an address. I actually admire a couple of the people saying they would
rock up at 6am to make sue they didn¹t miss the start time.

The NBN should have been an Australian Government legacy instead of the
current basket case.

Sorry peoples just completed a road trip and visited the Snowy Mountain
scheme. Which reminded me was completed with a lot of unskilled people,
who up skilled and put back. My Œconcern¹ is the current project managers
just want X houses rolled out, forgetting about end results.

Probably best discussed over a beer next AUS meet up.

Regards,

Chris Hurley BE (Elec)
Signal Manager

Dragon Rail Pty Ltd     Phone: 1300 730 531
74 Allanfield Crescent
Boronia,  3155 Victoria
Australia