[AusNOG] [AUSNog] : Re Data Centre Fire Suppression Safety

James Troy james.troy at agilityapplications.com
Fri Dec 14 07:51:23 EST 2018

I too can confirm this when a staff member ‘accidentally’ hit the gas release instead of the door release. We ended up having to replace 80% of our SAN’s disks due to both failure and predictive failure.

>From what I can determine the gas nozzles is what dictates the noise variable and the pressure has to be there to a) extinguish the fire and b) because the contents are under pressure and is therefore unavoidable.

A interesting side-effect that we noted was out Dell SAN’s had a safety cut-off that when they ‘detected’ the issue the stopped all the disks and we have zero failures in that kit. I was quite impressed by this.

James Troy

Senior Systems Administration

0412 449 074

james.troy at agilityapplications.com