[AusNOG] [AUSNog] : Re Data Centre Fire Suppression Safety

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Thu Dec 13 11:36:19 EST 2018

Pretty sure halon is banned, but fm200 is the gas used these days?

https://www.safelife.az/en/index.php/services/firefighting-by-gas.html

Firstly, the most important advantage of the use of chemical gas - it is
safe for people and electronic equipment. During fire fighting gas is used
in a concentration not to be harmful to human health and life. When using
the FM200 gas concentration of oxygen in the room is reduced by 3%. Along
with the fact that such a composition of the air is not sufficient to
continue the fire, it allows people who are there to breathe.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:01 AM Chris Ford <chris.ford at inaboxgroup.com.au>
wrote:

> As a university cadet working for IBM in the late 80s I remember getting
> inducted into the Westpac data centres and getting a long explanation of
> what to do when the halon system went off – where the breathing gear was,
> where the exits were, to basically just drop everything and run.
>

> Have been inducted into a few DCs in the last 3 years and can’t remember
> that being part of the induction at all – although given I already knew it
> I may have just glossed over that part.
>

> --
>
> Chris Ford
>
> Chief Technology Officer