[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:48:21 EST 2018

When I go through my list of concerns with the Bill, I'm gratified to see
where the amendments tend to ameliorate original concerns, but without
going so far as the concerns no longer exist.

A series of open questions to consider in assessing Bill

*1 - Why is there no judicial oversite of these sweeping police powers?*

Now a TAN needs approval by the AFP. Also, the decision of the AFP is
subject to judicial appeal.

TCN now needs approval by both AG and Minister for Comms. Also service
providers can appeal to a panel of a tech expert and a retired judge, who
assess necessity and proportionality.

However, for citizens or journalists who are the subject of TANs, there is
no appeal. This includes journalists, while they found the time to make an
exception for parliamentary privilege. There's still a public interest
argument that government documents be leaked into the public domain if it's
in the public interest.

*2 - Scope of powers go beyond terrorism and serious crime when it's not
supposed to.*

The amendments set the bar at 3 years. This seems low, for terrorism and
serious crimes offences. While 3 years ensures cyber stalking clears the
bar.

The problem is that there should be a different test and different powers
for intelligence/security services and the state police. It'd be ok to have
the bar at 3 years for police Legal Intercept, while restricting the more
extensive "do anything" powers to ASIO/AFP, but with a higher bar, that
limits their application to terrorism/serious crime offences, say 20 years
to life.

*3 - It supports the establishment of the machinery of mass surveillance
when it's not supposed to.*

Not so easy now to claim that access to metadata streams is necessary, as
you don't have a police task force signing off on the TAN. You need also to
have the AFP concur. Which is not to say it's still not a situation that
could arise.

*4 - It weakens the Internet's security, when it's not supposed to.*

The limiting of systemic vulnerability to targeting of specific devices is
obviously a very significant reduction in the scope of the original Bill.

This is obviously going to need further debate.  On the one hand, you have
5 Eyes saying they need to be able to be able to enter target devices. On
the other hand, you have IAB, saying any and all EA mechanisms weaken the
internet's security and user confidence.

I think where the current Bill can still be tightened, is removing such
security weaknesses as are unnecessary. Eg: state police need only legal
intercept, not EA.

The Act still allows a dozen different agencies access to warrant data and
confidential service provider details, which can leak from any of those
dozen agencies.

*5 - Why are there no limits to ensure issue of TCNs/TANs/TARs are
necessary and proportionate to the human right to privacy, unrevokeable per
the Declaration of Human Rights.*

There are now specific provisions for necessity and proportionality. Though
the standard lies with the decision maker, which is not a standard subject
to judicial review.

*6 - Why the deliberate exclusion/incompatibility of the provisions of the
Privacy Act 1988?*

Obviously the privacy NGOs are better qualified to pursue this continuing
debate. There are protections under the amendments for intrusion to privacy
to be necessary and proportionate.

*7 - Why are there no limits to ensure issue of TCNs/TANs/TARs are
necessary and proportionate to service providers rights to private
property, unrevokeable per the Declaration of Human Rights?*

There are new provisions that TCNs/TANs/TARs take the interests of service
providers into consideration. Again the standard lies with the decision
maker, which is not a standard subject to judicial review.

*8 - When Police Powers lie with the States, what constitutional head of
power supports the Bill's scope, without enabling legislation from the
States conferring power? The Constitution confers national security powers,
but the scope of the Bill's police powers exceeds this remit.*

Oversite of state police is something that needs further looking at.

*9 - Why has the Bill overlooked the obvious alternative of powers spread
across a dozen Law Enforcement Agencies, which is to centralise in one
single agency, providing for greater data security, governance, efficiency,
and accountability?*

The amendments pose the Minister of Comms as responsible for liaising TCNs
with industry.

*10 - Why the lack of provisions for accountability for the exercise of
police powers, and checks and balances commensurate to the reach of
sweeping police powers, quite incompatible with the democratic institutions
and traditions of Liberal Democracy?*

Still a concern, but in view of the great reduction in intrusiveness due to
the amendments, not such a concern as previously.

*11 - Why the deliberately curtailed public consultation process and
attempt to ambush both the public and government with this Bill by Dep't
Home Affairs, and representations of public and industry consultations as
being timely and adequate, incompatible with the facts on the public record
and the express concerns of the public, human rights groups, and industry?*

I assume debate will now continue for the PJCIS to complete its work in
April 2019, though I can't see where this is made explicit in the Act.

*12 - Why the absence of recompense for injury to reputation or to service
providers' business, or other injury consequent to police malfeasance or
misfeasance? The Bill's protections are not comprehensive, and where they
make provision, go only as far as to establish lack of liability for
unlawful disclosures.*

There have been amendments, but still don't go far enough to recompense
those injured by ill considered or ill executed State intervention.

*13 - Why has the government of the day referred this deeply flawed Bill to
the PJCIS, PJCHR, and the SSCSB, for review wasting public time and money,
rather than sending it back to Dep't Home Affairs for a complete overhaul
of it's scope and objectives?*

Mostly because of Dep't Home Affairs intransigence, and of course, the only
reason we've been fortunate to have the Bill amended at all, let's not
forget, is due to the Liberals losing control of the Reps.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins