[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:47:56 EST 2018

Hi Peter,

This is relatively common in the IT Industry in a number of hardware types
(servers, storage, network gear) as well as for software.

I'm sure there are arguments for and against it - I personally dislike the
practice, and I'd really be looking at what the options are - can the
customer buy new for something close to the back-charging and end up with a
better product with longer support?  I suspect driving a sale is one reason
this gets done, as well as funding the risk the vendor takes on when
bringing an old item with an unknown history back onto full support.

Regards,

Robert