[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Brad Peczka brad at bradpeczka.com
Thu Apr 26 15:59:31 EST 2018

Let's look at this using the context of your customer who hasn't been paying maintenance for a period of time.

During the time where your customer hasn't had a support contract, the vendor has been developing fixes, enhancements, and revisions to the software used on the product. The vendor may have also developed hardware fixes to the product that are incorporated into the manufacturing process as a V02, V03, etc, product - no functionality change, but improved reliability. The Cisco Catalyst 3850 status button is one I can recall easily; I'm sure there are others, and these updated products will reach the RMA pool after a period of time.

So - sure, from a customer side there's no problem. You pay the fee, you get the support. However, from the vendor side, the absence of maintenance fees from customers who instead pay for maintenance on a last minute/just in time basis essentially means they're freeloading off the development work that has occurred while they were outside of support. After-sales fixes throughout a product life are, to a large extent, paid for by customers with continuous maintenance contract, instead of customers who take the cheap route.

As a customer, I hate paying for maintenance on gear that is as solid as a rock and unlikely to fail... but I'm exceedingly grateful that when I hit a bug, the vendor often already has an image with the fix for the bug that I can download and run. Or, if I have a hardware fault, I get a V08 model to replace my V01 model, with all of the engineering changes included. I also hate the idea of back-paying maintenance that I'll can never use just to get a device back under support, but that's the policy of the vendor and I as the customer have made a conscious decision to use that vendors product in preference to another for whatever reason I deemed best at the time.

TL;DR = Support has a cost for both the customer and vendor. Pay your share, buy cold spares, or change to a vendor that better aligns with your commercial expectations.

Regards,
-Brad.