[AusNOG] Telecommunications Sector Security Reforms

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 11:22:06 EST 2017

I would suggest anyone interested in either the framework the government is
creating to manage cyber strategy, or would like to contribute, take a
closer look at the Federal Government's Joint Cyber Security Centre
initiative. I would imagine the intent is down the track that the JCSC will
form policy, and may make recommendations to government for how powers to
compel security measures be adopted will be exercised. They already have a
fair representation of the big players on board, and doubtless more will
follow as centre's other than Queensland are rolled out.

*JCSC Statement of Intent
<https://www.ag.gov.au/RightsAndProtections/CyberSecurity/Documents/JCSC-statement-of-intent.pdf>The
JCSC's mission:*
Strengthen Australia’s cyber security capability and resilience through
effective partnership and collaboration.

*VISION:*
A more resilient Australia able to safely and securely benefit from the
opportunities offered in a digital world.

*STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES*
Sensitive information, including actionable cyber threat intelligence, is
shared quickly between and among
partners.
Solutions to cyber security risks and issues are developed through
collaboration and without commercial
bias.
A common understanding of the cyber security environment and optimal
mitigation options is achieved
through sharing and analysis of incidents, threats and risks.
Organisations
– at all levels –
have access to practical tools and resources to improve their cyber
security.
Consistent education and awareness messages are promoted with and among
partners.