[AusNOG] Business customer smashing their "unlimited" MBE 20/20Mbps internet service

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Sep 28 18:55:46 EST 2017

It's a fine line though depending on how it was sold to the customer -
as if you wanted uncontested business grade bandwidth, you'd be paying
per mbit and being charged for the L2, L3 and markup components in one
price.

This could be the gateway into the customer in explaining their use case
calls for uncontested bandwidth - here is the price for that, what they
were sold is (assuming) not uncontested and if they aren't willing to
play ball you could let it congest and perhaps slow down in those peak
times.

But ultimately, if you can't sustain a connection then you can't sustain
it. Unless they can hold YOU to the contract for whatever reason, then
give them 30 days notice that the price is going to change to $x, or
they can cancel if they wish to. This works better if they don't have
(m)any other profit making services with you.

There is a general understanding for uncontested connections in the IT
world that it wont be used 100% 24/7 (It's how the TPG/Vocus 400mbits
would be assumed and I bet if you did 100% utilise them 24/7 you'd
likely get a call).
It will ebb and flow and the max data rate is mostly for peak and burst
rates not for full time sustained rates. Sure the customer wouldn't know
this unless they have a knowledgeable IT department but thats where the
discussion above comes in.