[AusNOG] ABC 4Corners - What's Wrong with the NBN?

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Tue Oct 24 14:54:37 EST 2017

Your story hits on an issue we have had too…

When ordering FttN, you can choose to have voiceband continuity (connection back to the exchange) or not. Usually we choose to not have it, because the VDSL sync speeds in general are better without the noise from upstream. But we have had customers with landline phones and monitored alarms relying on the phone line, and we should be able to order the FttN service with voiceband continuity enabled to cater for that… but we have had several cases where NBN installers come in and say they have to disconnect the line from the exchange regardless of the order. They ask the end user if that’s ok, not us, but the end user doesn’t understand the implications and/or the technician doesn’t explain it very well, and then we get screamed at when the end user phones and alarms stop working, because there is no way for them to scream at NBN Co.

Just to be clear – some NBN technicians are awesome. We’ve had some great experiences in some cases. But all the stories we hear are from the ones with lower standards.