[AusNOG] Recommendations for network status pages

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu May 18 20:25:18 EST 2017

On 18 May 2017, at 6:52 PM, andrew at mcnaughty.com wrote:

> I also use Nagios, mostly because it allows for monitoring disk usage level, backup freshness, security update status, etc which aren't as easily monitored via a third party service.

You really should consider http://prometheus.io <http://prometheus.io/> for that stuff.

It’s a time-series database with a query language modelled on Google’s borgmon. Scales beautifully, is supported as a back-end by graphing packages like Grafana. Comes with an alert manager you can use to funnel alerts into your favorite pager system.

Statistics collectors are easy to write: I knocked one up in an afternoon for graphing my home solar power system. There’s a golang library on Github, but you don’t really need it if you can arrange for metricname=value attribute-value pairs to show up on an HTTP server somewhere.

  - mark