[AusNOG] Offsite Backup Recommendations

Ricci Danieletto ricci.danieletto at bigair.net.au
Mon May 15 21:22:47 EST 2017

Hi James,

All of the advice above is very constructive and concise.

However I didn't really understand if you're keen to find a self managed,
or a fully managed offering.

If the latter we can provide a very comprehensive solution, both cost
effective and accommodating:
http://www.bigair.com.au/disaster-recovery-as-a-service.

We actually have an informative customer event scheduled for the 8th June
that you may also find of interest.

Without wanting to do the hard sell, let me know if of interest.

Regards,

Ricci

On 15 May 2017 at 16:54, Andrew McN <andrew at mcnaughty.com> wrote:

> On 15/05/17 12:09, Karl Auer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 01:15 +0000, Shane Clay wrote:
> >> At 10tb your budget would have to be reasonable for both the storage
> >> and bandwidth requirements. Amazon S3 would slug you $350 for the
> >> object storage before you pay to get it there.
> >
> > That's per year though, isn't it? 20% off if you put it into
> > "infrequent access", and 80% off if you move it into Glacier. That all
> > seems very cheap to me, considering that S3 automatically keeps several
> > non-co-located copies. The initial upload will be $500 over the
> > network, so go Snowball ($260) instead.
>
> 10TB would be $250/month if stored in AWS sydney data centre.  That
> doesn't include any allowance for transfer costs, but I'd expect that to
> be slow so long as you are talking about backing up e.g. 100GB volumes
> not individual 4k files.
>
> Small savings are available by using an off-shore data centre, and as
> you say, there's things like glacier, if you are OK with the delay
> and/or cost that implies for recovery.
>
> You can certainly store stuff cheaper than S3.  E.g.
> https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/storagebox/bx60 gives you 10TB plus 12
> snapshots for 40 euro/month, but chances are that by the time you've got
> a second system for redundancy, and you've worked out how to automate
> this less common storage option, then your savings are not going to pay
> back the time spent this year, and likely not next year either.  If AWS
> Glacier fits your needs, then this approach wouldn't save money at all.
>
> Andrew

BigAir Group Limited

Ricci Danieletto
National Corporate Sales Manager

*e* ricci.danieletto at bigair.net.au
*m* +61 422 66 77 66
*p* +612 8437 2444
*d* +612 8437 2400
*w *www.bigair.com.au
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigair.com.au%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzctZiNNIy30ZY7vvGxIkDbgB8wXPw>
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigair.com.au%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzctZiNNIy30ZY7vvGxIkDbgB8wXPw>
Level 1, 203 Pacific Highway
St Leonards NSW 2065 Australia
Part of the Superloop Group [image: Linkedin_copy.png]
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fcompany%2Fbigair-group-limited&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFc8hvXAosJHdo4nyuyzyp2A2xxmQ>

[image: CRN and Deloitte]