[AusNOG] NYTimes article on the NBN

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Fri May 12 14:07:41 EST 2017

Sure, distance is a factor for some of it, but it does not even come close to explaining the stark difference. Let’s face it, the big difference id Telecom NZ was relatively peacefully split into Chorus (in ground infrastructure) and Spark (retail, mobile, everything else) and instead of fighting to the bitter end (aka Telstra) they just got on with it. For example, In NZ a dark fibre from an exchange to a city end point costs $355/mth from Chorus (and others who followed suit). Why is a local piece of fibre within Sydney so much more expensive than one in Queenstown? A 1G/500M GPON retail access cost $60/mth to the service provider.

The big difference here from what I can see from the outside is politics and the big existing players fighting to the bitter end rather than just getting on board.