[AusNOG] Prediction: Google et. al. may artificially penalise IPv4 clients

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:13:40 EST 2017

On 2 May 2017 09:42, "Tim Raphael" <raphael.timothy at gmail.com> wrote:

>So TLDR: Lots of fundamental things are broken.

I don't think that is the case.

Look at the stats links I posted. If things  were fundamentally broken
then deployment of IPv6 would be declining not increasing.

I don't disagree with the issues Geoff points out, however none of
those issues are preventing large deployments into the least tolerant
of end-user environments - residential end-users and mobile networks.
If something doesn't work, they complain about it and have no interest
in finding out why. Their user experience expectations are as simple
as it works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't they don't want it.

When I'm at home, I try very much to be a typical end user - to the
extent that when I've worked at a residential ISP I used to use a
standard user account, and only switched to a privileged login when I
needed to do something privileged. I try very hard to "eat my own (or
my organisation's) dog food".

My residential IPv6 environment is pretty much vanilla residential
IPv6 (native from Internode, nothing special to me about the service,
single Wifi LAN) and I expect IPv6 capable devices that I buy and use
to just work when I plug them in (3 generations of Chromecasts,
Chromebook, Android phones, Fedora Linux and occasionally Windows) .
They do.

The only thing that isn't vanilla is that I'm using OpenWRT rather
than vendor CPE firmware. I have the minimum configured on OpenWRT to
make IPv6 work in a manner that is the same as what a vendor CPE
firmware would have enabled - and I wouldn't actually recommend
OpenWRT for a normal user because the IPv6 configuration options in it
are actually a bit confusing.

I've had this setup for more than 5 years, and I now end up using IPv6
more than IPv4 - from my router's IPv4 and IPv6 firewall forward
counters:

IPv4 forward: 7.08 GB

IPv6 forward: 19.83 GB

After all of these years I may have finally just encountered what
might be an IPv6 related issue - I occasionally can't play some of the
Redbull channel videos on my Chromecasts, although they do play on my
phone. It hasn't be consistent thought, so I'm only starting to narrow
down what are obscure possibilities.

> There is no point waiting on the standards bodies as it will be an eternity until all of this is addressed so what is the pragmatic way forward?

Experiment with it. Doing nothing does nothing to overcome fears of
the unknown.