[AusNOG] Prediction: Google et. al. may artificially penalise IPv4 clients

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue May 2 09:57:21 EST 2017

In message <C44456A3-7F52-47C9-8F5E-BC62A60FAE71 at apnic.net>, Geoff Huston write
s:

> > On 2 May 2017, at 8:20 am, Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Given its been a while since our last discussion what are the remaining
> roadblocks for ISPs taking up v6?
> >
> > Lack of funds is not a valid point.
> >
> > - Tim
>
> You asked.
>
> IPv6 Packet Fragmentation handling is broken.

Mostly, self inflicted damage by firewalls.  Some my broken hardware
that should never have claimed to be IPv6 capable.  Add to that the
myth that you don't need to fragment in IPv6.

> Equally, IPv6 Extension Header handling is a mess.

Again mostly self inflicted.  These can be processed at line rate
up to a reasonable size.  Just lazy router vendors not spending the
little bit of time developing the asics to do that.

> SLAAC and RDNSS and DHCP6 is a chaotic mess.

Only because of religious wars about not wanting to listen for
stateless DHCP requests.  Just order routers that at capable of
being configured to do DHCPv6 (you need this for PD anyway) and
RDNSS.

> Routing coverage is erratic.

That just requires operators to treat IPv6 as production which it
mostly is now and to turn it on in some cases.

> As long as you treat IPv6 kindly, use very small TCP MSS values, avoid
> UDP, pay care in delivering all ICMPv6 messages, run host MSS caches af
> necessary, and be ultra careful about routing both in terms of the
> completeness of the routes you see and the extent to which your routes
> get propagated then IPv6 will likely work just fine once youve got past
> the auto-config stage. But push it harder in any of these areas and
> you'll regret it.
>
> So I suspect for many folk it requires a level of loving care and
> technical attention that they are not willing or able to expend right
> now. I can well understand that, and Im not willing to castigate anyone
> for still being cautious. Whether you deploy IPv6 today or tomorrow you
> cant stop the ongoing task of cramming more stuff into IPv4 just yet. So
> if your engineering and tech assistance resources are limited, I can
> readily understand anyone who is still waiting just a bit longer. With a
> bit of luck we'll find solid ways to avoid these issues in the coming
> months and the entire task will then be a lot less forbidding than it is
> now. Or we wont. Can't tell yet.
>
> Geoff

Additionally there are techs that should be figuring out how to get
IPv6 running are just disconnected from the reality that customers
are requesting IPv6 and have been for about 15 years now.  The
customers have just worked around the fact that the ISP is not
delivering IPv6 by running tunnels.

Mark