[AusNOG] NBN VDSL Speeds | Line Sync | Determining Max Throughput

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Wed Mar 15 07:34:10 EST 2017

Regardless of what the modem shows, the RSP can use the NBN portal to run diagnostics on any of their own existing FttN services to see the current sync rate, attainable rate, and a lot of other stats including estimated cable length, CPE make/model (if it’s registered), MAC address of modem, noise margins, attenuation, and graphs of uptime over the past 1 and 14 days. But of course this all relies on there being an existing service, which doesn’t help if you’re trying to work out the maximum practical service to order.

When performing a site qualification for a FttN service (part of the process for ordering a service), some lines will show an estimated attainable speed. It is usually a big range, eg 30-50 down and 10-20 up, but it can give some idea of what to expect. Also keep in mind that internal cabling at the premises can make a significant difference.

Unfortunately I think the NBN agreements prevent me from sharing a screenshot of the info available on the portal.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker | Network Engineer | TasmaNet