[AusNOG] NBN VDSL Speeds | Line Sync | Determining Max Throughput

Nick Pratley nick.pratley at serversaustralia.com.au
Tue Mar 14 20:47:05 EST 2017

I sync at 46/17 and buy 50/20. The line isn't that long so I am sure if I
purchased 100/40 it'll sync higher.

Shows max rate as my sync rate on the juniper...

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017, Robert Hudson <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also note that given CVC costs, your sync speed is very unlikely to be
> your usable end-to-end speed...
>
> I know many people who had 100/40 services and downgraded themselves to
> 25/5 services because that's all they could get as meaningful Internet
> access anyway...
>
> On 14 March 2017 at 20:35, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag at rendrag.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rendrag at rendrag.net');>> wrote:
>
>> You'll sync at your purchased speed, with attainable rate showing your
>> line's possible maximum.  E.g. I pay for 50/20, so sync at 55/22.  When I
>> was previously paying for 100/40 on the same line, I was syncing at
>> 110/44.  Not sure on attainable rate, as the HG658 doesn't show it :\
>>

>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 at 8:31 pm, Ben Cummings <bcummings at clublinks.com.au
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','bcummings at clublinks.com.au');>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Just a quick question that will likely be a quick answer for someone
>>> with more familiarity on the subject matter.
>>>
>>> I haven't had much exposure to the inner workings of the NBN or xDSL (so
>>> please excuse my ignorance) and haven't been able to find an answer
>>> elsewhere.
>>>
>>> I'm not too far away from getting FTTN at home, and am curious as to
>>> whether my standard 25/5 plan will show me a line sync speed of let's say
>>> for arguments sake, 65000 but have a maximum throughput of 25000 set
>>> further upstream by the RSP (thus suggesting a 50Mbps plan would allow me
>>> to use up to the full 50Mbps, but that I wouldn't be able to achieve near
>>> full utilisation of a 100Mbps service) -or- would a 25/5 service show my
>>> line sync as 25000 and provide me no real indication of what I could
>>> theoretically push through the copper after attenuation, equipment choice
>>> and cable wear and tear comes in to play if the cap were taken off.
>>>
>>> Any insights or wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Ben Cummings
>>> Clublinks

 Regards,
​​
 Nick Pratley Senior Network Operator [image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/ServersAustralia>[image: @serversau on Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/serversau>
[image: email_signature.png] <http://www.serversaustralia.com.au>

Direct Phone: +61 2 8115 8817
*Phone:*  +61 2 8115 8888
E-Mail: nick.pratley at serversaustralia.com.au
<ellen.gallo at serversaustralia.com.au>Web: www.serversaustralia.com.au
11/6 Reliance Drive, Tuggerah NSW 2259
PO Box 3187, Tuggerah NSW 2259

SYDNEY | BRISBANE | PERTH | MELBOURNE | NEW ZEALAND

Notice: This message may contain private and confidential information
intended only for the recipients. If you have received this message in
error please delete immediately and notify the sender. Any distribution or
reproduction of this message is prohibited. The views & opinions expressed
in this email are NOT necessarily those of Servers Australia.