[AusNOG] Getting connected to a physically closer NBN FTTN node

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 12:30:12 EST 2017

I would have thought that it's all about which way the physical copper runs.

Assuming there is no copper going from their premises to the closer node, then ordering a new service is just going to use more copper that goes the "wrong" way. They can't provision you on the closer node without running new copper (again assuming there exists no copper going that way). They won't run new copper just for you to the closer node, so about the only way you're going to get any better speeds would be to go the "user pays FTTP" route (where you pay for the upgrade to all fibre and which is rumoured to cost $10k upwards minimum).

Welcome to the Node/copper lottery.