[AusNOG] Data Retention Solution Security Measures

Mister Pink misterpink at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:15:28 EST 2017

Hi Paul, true but I'm simply surveying controls in place and there is an
additional text box for additional comments.

In terms of the above approach, it sounds a little over engineered for me
and only addresses a narrow use case, ie an attacker has already
compromised your server, but is then unable to escalate his privilege
enough to mount the drive as readable.

It's practicality as one of a series of other controls probably depends on
the number of warrants you need to satisfy, and the amount of data you
collect because you would be unable to index the data,  in addition it
raises the question of backup? - What if you pull a HDD out that has been
offline for 2 years and it's seized?