[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Jul 31 09:37:42 EST 2017

Back in the day*, one of the considerations in designing the NBN was avoiding the
costs of putting in a mother-of-all traffic monitoring and measurement system that
would retrieve and store usage data on all the 10+million endpoints. By keeping the
product suite a set of one-time-charge and fixed monthly values, no measurement was
required, the billing was kept simple, and periodic counter polling and associated
data reduction, processing, storage, and robustness of systems was avoided.
Clearly that has been superseded at least on the satellite links, where NBN are
tracking usage anyway.

Now you are talking about the CVC layer, not end-user, so theres a few orders of
magnitude reduction in polling and storage required to do traffic monitoring to
implement a p95 rating system just on CVCs - but the current system for all its faults
has the benefits that the costs and complexity of polling, calculating and billing on
usage are avoided, and billing disputes between RSPs and NBN are fairly binary with
the biggest possible area of contention being what date a billable element become
billable or not.

Also, for most PoIs, NBN switching to a p95 model of billing would require the
backhaul network transmission providers to also switch to a p95 model to become
effective. If the backhaul providers are selling transmission between capital-city and
POI in fixed increments that take 6 weeks to upgrade , then the NBN's charging model
is almost irrelevant, and the incentive to delay upgrading the backhaul transmission
retains the same problem.
In fact, its arguable how much of the congestion is caused by CVC and how much by
unwillingness to increase backhaul capacity to manage cost.

(*'Back in the day' means before the CVC/AVC and commercial structure was a twinkle in
someone's eye)

Paul.