[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Mon Jul 31 04:15:19 EST 2017

Hi,

> On 30 Jul 2017, at 2:27 am, David Hooton <david.hooton at ordnance.co> wrote:
>
> On 30/7/17, 6:37 am, "AusNOG on behalf of Matthew Moyle-Croft" <ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net on behalf of mmc at mmc.com.au> wrote:
>
>    Given the nature of users I don’t think a p95 number could be gamed particularly, but it would ease some of the peaks a bit.
>
> The problem with this approach is that it assumes that NBN Co have the available backhaul to carry the capacity they are selling. 95th percentile charging is absolutely the right way to sell access to a network you want users to consume freely, however that is not the current mandate they operate under.

Not sure I quite follow that. Hiding behind CVC lack of scaling is obviously going to be revealed but I don’t see that it would change NBNCo costs significantly other than potentially to encourage them to scale earlier and in large amounts to ensure they can bill more. Hopefully a more virtuous cycle.

MMC