[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Sun Jul 30 16:57:04 EST 2017

On 29Jul17, Matthew Moyle-Croft allegedly wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm going to side step that entirely

> I did have some interesting responses - I think it's pretty clear
> though that a p95 product for CVC would be popular and unlock a lot
> of options for ISPs.

I can see why this is appealing from an RSP perspective. P95 is
definitely comfort food for RSPs and it's traditionally easy to
measure.

But. The NBN is a consumer-centric network and p95 borders on
obfuscation as far as consumers are concerned. Certainly up there with
AGC+CVC.

Given that the NBN is funded by consumers (aka tax payers) I think it
behooves our industry to create a transparent and easy-to-understand
costing model for those paying the bills. And, p95 aint it.

Mark.